Workflow is defined as a series of tasks that produce an outcome. In Sharepoint context it looks like automated movement of documents or items through a sequence of actions or tasks that are related to a business process.
We build Approval Workflows that help employees to send documents or items for reviewing to their mangers. The manager can approve or reject, notifying the initiator and all participants of his feedback. The document can be approved by any managers (working in parallel) or one by one in the order defined in workflow (working in serial).
We can build custom workflows that include any of the following requests:
• Using Workflows to update the list of items;
• Creating Reusable Workflows;
• Receiving Data from Web Services;
• Customizing SharePoint List Item Forms with InfoPath;
• Storing Data in External Databases;
• Using Visio for Visual Workflow Design.